Saturday, May 23, 2009

Questions


As this situation has worn on, I have been besieged with emotions and questions.  Though with each day I feel more able to control my emotions, there are still moments that they careen out of control.  And I ply God with questions...am I doing the right thing?  Why did this happen to me?  When will it be over?  When will feel like me again?

I saw this quote from Rainer Maria Rilke and it helped:

'Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language.  Don't search for the answers, which could be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them.

And the point is to live everything.  Live the questions now.  Perhaps then, some day far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.'

My prayer for you, tonight, is from the Compline Service of the Book of Common Prayer...

Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake.  Amen. 

1 comment:

J Gregory said...

I have the same thoughts and feelings,....and I spoke with someone else who has the same feelings,...he said it's like a divorce,...don't know that feeling but thought the analogy was probably dead on. I think,...would I go back? You can never go back. I will end with a deep philosophical quote from Boston,...the 4 album band of the 70's,...."Don't look back, a new day is breaking,..I finally see the dawn arising,...I see beyond the road I'm driving". I THINK those are the lyrics. If not, then I made them fit the theme pretty well.