Saturday, January 22, 2011

I'm Back

"During the difficult period when I was struggling through my 'cloud of unknowing' to return to the Church and to Christ, the largest thing which deterred me was that I saw so little clear light coming from those Christians who sought to bring me back to the fold.

But I'm back, and I'm glad to be back, because through God's loving grace, I did meet enough people who showed me that light of love which the darkness cannot extinguish. One of the things I learned on the road back is that I do not have to be right. I have to try to do what is right, but when it turns out, as happens with all of us, to be wrong, then I am free to accept that it was wrong, to say "I'm sorry" and to try, if possible, to make reparation. But I have to accept the fact that I am often unwise; that I am not always loving; that I make mistakes; that I am, in fact, human. And as Christians we are not meant to be less human than other people, but to be more human, just as Jesus of Nazareth was more human."

- Madeleine L'Engle, 'Walking on Water'

I love this quote from one of my favorite authors. And I love the initiatives that we have begun in regard to ministering in our own league. May we indeed be the light of love that the darkness cannot extinguish.

No comments: