Saturday, June 18, 2011

Heaven?

My daughter, Lily, is a wonderful, amazing disciple of Christ (even though she is only 6) . She spoke in reverent awe yesterday of her uncle Greg and aunt Cyndi, as she came to realize that they weren't going to be home this Summer because they were going to Romania to be 'missionaries'. She spoke that word 'missionaries' in a hushed whisper as if saying the name of some male heartthrob she realized that she was in love with.

On our recent vacation to Washington D.C., she decided to write a book about Heaven, which is one of her favorite topics. Amy helped her write the book, and Lily served as the chief storyteller and illustrator. It is a wonderful little book, and if I can convince her, I will share it on this blog.

My problem is this: I don't know exactly what I think and feel about Heaven. Here are some of my questions: if Heaven is where I want to go, why don't I want to go right now? Second, are all those descriptions of Heaven in Revelation just metaphors, or is it really going to be that cool? What will my existence be like (I have heard it said by some who can't carry a tune in a bucket that standing around all day singing hymns doesn't sound like a goo time to them)? Finally, is Heaven my ultimate goal, or is a byproduct of a life lived for the king today, making that life my ultimate goal.

Click HERE to read a cool blog article on this topic, and respond if you have deep meaningful answers to my questions or if you have other questions you want to add to the list!

2 comments:

Bill Akins said...

I'm going to Heaven. That's a fact, and I believe it with all my heart. Once I get there it will be "pure heaven" to worship our Lord all day in His very presence.

I also firmly believe that God wants us to have "Heaven on earth" as we pass through the lives He has given us. Most of us probably live in heaven every day, but because we are so busy with jobs, kids, aches and pains, and just getting from day to day, that we fail to notice.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote, "Earth's crammed with heaven, And every common bush afire with God; But only he who sees, takes off his shoes..."

There have been few times in my 66 years that have been so wonderful that I would have called them perfect, but those few times were so fantastic and moving to me that they were truly "Heaven on earth."

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting question, for sure! Guess I just don't think about it much, I kinda live in the here and now. I just hope there's more to do than singin'..... ;-)

Earl