Sunday, May 30, 2010

Ministry


I was reading a new book this week entitled 'Earthy Mysticism' by Tex Sample. In it he describes his 'choice to pursue a ministry career' in a unique way.


"I absolutely hated the idea of doing such a thing. The very thought that I would have to go through life as some sanctimonious mouther of platitudes drove me crazy. That I would have to tell people things they already knew and fill their ears with a bunch of musts, oughts and shoulds was about as exciting as standing on a corner telling people they ought to look both ways before crossing the street. I later learned, however, that the call to go into ministry is a lot like throwing up. You can put it off for a while, but there comes a time when you have to do it."


This past year I have learned many things about myself. The first and foremost of these lessons is that I am not drawn into ministry for a paycheck or even for more altruistic reasons, but as a call from God. I love people, and I love befriending people and showing them the love of Christ. I am also loud, showy, sometimes downright obnoxious. My quote that has kept Greg Needels chuckling all week was this: "The sad reality is, I'm just not even a very nice person." I could go on and on about the things I can't do or don't do well. But for all my foibles, God has granted me a welcoming heart and a love for His people that transcends where they have been or what they have done. I really do not remember people's lowest moments.


The factor that ties all this together is the book I quoted from above. Actually, it is the bookshop from which the book came. Connections bookstore has resided on Forest Park Blvd in Ft. Worth for almost 30 years. Its current owner, a gal named Peggy, is a retired librarian who has never owned a computer or cell phone. But she knows books. And specifically, she knows religious books. For the couple of years we lived on Forest Park, I frequented Connections and got to know Peggy well. We would have deep theological discussions, share about our lives (her friend Jenny also worked in the store until she had to take care of her invalid husband) and shared wonderful times together.


I haven't been in Connections for years, but this past Thursday, Jonathan and I went to the Colonial Golf Tournament in Fort Worth. We passed Connections, and I saw a 'Sale-Going Out of Business' sign in the window. So, after the temperature became unbearable, we left the golf tournament and headed over to Connections. I was very surprised to realize that after not having been there for nearly ten years, Peggy still remembered me. And our 'deep theological discussions' as she termed it; and our common love for Madeleine L'Engle. I reminded her that she was the first to introduce me to the wonderful Catholic writer Edward Hays, and Jonathan and I looked together at Henri Nouwen books we both love.


I was reminded of the good things that can happen when people love God, His words, and sharing life together. That a shopkeeper is not only a shopkeeper, but can be the voice of God in your life. That no interaction is unimportant - we must be aware of our each of them, as the writer of Hebrews points out in Chapter 13, verse 2: "Don't forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!"

1 comment:

mynameisearl said...

Ryan, it’s funny you wrote about your “foibles” this week, I was actually thinking of your most important “non-foible” last week at church! You and Amy are so welcoming, and your house is always full of people. I always wanted to be hospitable, but I could never do what you all do. To me, anyway, you two really are the epitome of what Christianity is all about! Thanks for all you do!