Sunday, May 2, 2010

Studying the Bible Wisely

So, I think the question for me has to become...how can I study the Bible wisely and profitably? For a long time in my life, I have read the Bible because it tells me about God, and because it teaches me how to live.

But, as we have studied more deeply the scriptures, things seem more complex to me. I realize that even when Jesus is teaching or speaking, things seem murkier at then end of his talk than at the beginning. And I have known for a long time that many, many conscientious followers of Jesus disagree about certain passages of scripture and what they mean for our lives. (Consider I Corinthians 14)

So, I have gone back to the basic building blocks to understand what role scripture needs to play in my life. I am considering two questions: 1) How should I read the Bible and what role should the Bible play in my life?

For the next few weeks at House Church I am going to us some materials to prod our thinking in this direction...for those of you who are readers, you may want to access these materials:
* Reading the Bible Wisely, by Richard Briggs
* How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth, Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart
* Word Pictures, Brian Godawa

I believe we will profit from challenging one another to consider the role God's word should play in our lives...

No comments: