Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Guide Us, Oh Lord

One of my dearest friends just texted me with terrible news. I was just fading out into sleepy oblivion when I saw the text, and it jolted me awake. Amy and I prayed and grieved and I went to retrieve the book of common prayer from my shelf, for words to pray seemed to fail me.

I opened to one of my favorite compline prayers...

Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work or watch or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your Love's sake. Amen.

So, dear Friends, wherever you are, remember that you are loved...this night...

So guide us waking, O Lord, and guard us sleeping; that awake we may watch with Christ, and asleep we may rest in peace. Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.

No comments: