Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Eucatastrophe


Eucatastrophe is a term coined by JRR Tolkien which refers to the sudden turn of events at the end of a story which result in the lead character's well-being. He formed the word by affixing the Greek prefix eu, meaning good, to catastrophe, the word traditionally used in classically-inspired literary criticism to refer to the "unraveling" or conclusion of a drama's plot. It is a surprise, and a joyous surprise at that. I can think of no word that better sums up my experience with this House Church. Born from the most difficult period of my life, I had no idea what to expect. Yet when Greg, Cyndi, Anne and I decided to go be with Crystal Jones at the passing of her father, Natalie, DeeDee, Amy Foster and Bill / Donna all pitched in to help get the kids to / from school. This retreat will focus on the joy that can be found in community, as we celebrate today and look to the future. I hope that everyone will come and join us for a wonderful weekend! Click the graphic to enlarge the poster and print it if you didn't get one of the copies on card stock!

No comments: