Wednesday, October 5, 2011

How can we keep this thing between the lines?

It is difficult to read the words penned by Isaac Watts in the hymn, 'Alas and Did My Savior Bleed' that Christ died 'for such a worm as I', and not begin to feel really badly about yourself. It is ironic that posturing ourselves in a correct relationship with a Holy, Almighty God puts us in a place that may make it difficult to remember that God also sent his one and only Son to die on our behalf.

We need to balance the reality that we are sinful, fallen beings who have been called to a life of freedom through slavery to Christ with the entire canon of scripture. For instance in Hebrews ch. 5 the author, in telling us about our great high priest, Jesus Christ, says that because of Him we may '....with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.'

Paul tells the Ephesian believers that they are God's 'Poiemá', his one-of-a-kind masterpiece(s). His workmanship, like that of a master carver. So even though we aren't God, we ARE made in His image, intended to reflect His glory to those around us.

So, as we continue our study, let's look at the length and breadth of scripture...Sunday we looked at the following verses:
  • Genesis 4
  • Matthew 5
  • Philippians 2
  • James 1

This Sunday we will cover all or part of the following verses:
  • I Corinthians 5/6
  • Galatians 5
  • Ephesians 2
  • I Peter 2
  • John 8
  • II Timothy 4
DeeDee wrote a song recently that seems to hold these 'opposing' views of us, both wretched and desperately loved in a song entitled 'You Don't See Me As I Am'. I was particularly moved by this verse / chorus combination:

On the outside I impress
On the inside, I'm a wreck, a mess
They can't see past this mask
They can't see that deep inside I'm dying
Inside I'm crying
Worthless, spent and sick of trying
Hoping no one sees me as I am

But, YOU don't see me as I am
Filthy, stained and so unworthy
Undeserving of your Love
You don't see me as I am.

Beautiful, Dee...and I will close with these words by Lady Julian of Norwich, with an addendum by Madeleine L'Engle:

'All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well (no matter what).'

No comments: