Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Day 10B - The Rest of the Story

In reality, however, what really happened was this...we had left Yellowstone for Grand TETON National Park. We had stopped to collect some walking sticks from the lakeside, and I had walked back to the van. The boys were gone for a long time, and something told me all was not well. I turned on my cell phone, which hadn’t worked in two days. Amazingly, I had cell coverage so I called Robert, who calmly said, would you please bring the medical kit to me -- I cut my head. THANK, YOU -- THANK YOU -- THANK YOU, to Mrs. Pratt for purchasing said medical kit. So, I walked back down to the beach, and the three fellows were walking toward me, with Robert holding his head.

It seems that, in a state of altitude induced-delirium, Robert had decided that he liked this particular stick, but that it was too long, and he would break it by dropping a large rock on it. In hindsight, this plan appears to have had serious flaws. After he dropped the rock on the stick, the stick rose up and smote him on the forehead.

Because this happened in Timbuk-2, we had to drive all the way to Jackson Hole (about 40 miles) with Robert moaning slightly while holding ice to his head.

We are proud to say that Robert was treated at the Jackson Hole E.R. and is now fit as a fiddle (please note the picture of his 4 lovely stitches) -- and he wants you to know that he took the entire thing like a man, and they even gave him a sticker when he left the hospital (also, he flirted with the girl at reception, and did so well, she forgot to charge him -- such is life on the road with Robert Ortega).

We will get back on the road in the morning and head to Glenwood Springs, CO. In reality, Jackson Hole is a much nicer place to stay than where we had originally intended, AND they have high speed wireless internet. Have a great day tomorrow...we move one state closer home tomorrow!

3 comments:

Gregory said...

The Wild West can be brutal. Especially those incredibly dangerous sticks. Robert could have been killed!!! Ya'll need to be more careful.

Ryan Gibbons said...

I just want you to know, I was not present to chaperone at the exact moment of the accident. Surely, had I been present, I could have helped avert the situation!

Dave Tree said...

Hi guys, I thought I pop in to see where you are and what you have been up to and into......Yikes!
Looks like you had a little more excitement than maybe you planned!

Robert, By the way, how was your first attempt at rodeoing??? Hum?

Somebody get the man a cowboy hat ...no wait...a hard hat might be the better option.

Glad your okay though.

Guys, I knew you were doing a "road trip" for a week or so, but I don't think I realized how many states you planned to visit.

The weather in Texas the last few days has reverted to what you would normally expect summer to be. It has actually been a few days since we have had rain.

Keep having fun!

Uncle Dave