Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Diving in

I love Shel Silverstein, and here is one of my favorite of his poems: "Diving Board"

You've been up on that diving board making sure it's nice and straight You've made sure that it's not too slick. You've made sure it can stand the weight. You've made sure that the spring is tight. You've made sure that the cloth won't slip. You've made sure that it bounces right and that your toes can get a grip -- And you've been up there since half past five, doin' everything...but DIVE!

Which reminded me of this older song by Steven curtis Chapman...called 'Diving In'

The long awaited rains
Have fallen hard upon the thirst ground
And carved their way to where

The wild and rushing river can be found

And like the rains

I have been carried here to where the river flows, yeah
My heart is racing and my knees are weak
As I walk to the edge
I know there is no turning back
Once my feet have left the ledge
And in the rush I hear a voice
That’s telling me it’s time
to take the leap of faith
So here I go

I’m diving in, I’m going deep in over
my head, I want to be
Caught in the rush, lost in the flow,
in over my head, I want to go
The river’s deep, the river’s wide,
the river’s water is alive
So sink or swim, I’m diving in

There is a supernatural power
In this might river’s flow
It can bring the dead to life
And it can fill an empty soul
And give a heart the only thing
Worth living and worth dying for, yeah
But we will never know the awesome power
Of the grace of God
Until we let ourselves get swept away
Into this holy flood
So if you’ll take my hand
We’ll close our eyes and count to three
And take the leap of faith
Come on let’s go

Which reminded me of what Paul says in Ephesians, chapter three...

12 In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. 13 I ask you, therefore, not to be discouraged because of my sufferings for you, which are your glory. A Prayer for the Ephesians 14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

No matter what, no matter who, no matter where, let's stick together and dive in deep to seek out the full measure of the fullness of God!

3 comments:

Crystal said...

I needed to be immersed in verses 18-20 tonight. Thank you for this meaningful chain of thoughts.

Gregory said...

The song "Dive" has been one of my theme songs, so to speak, for the last few years. The illustration is so helpful for me to use when trying to make certain decisions that require me to forget helping myself and hoping in God.

It first made an impact on me when Cyndi and I decided to buy a duplex for the purpose of providing a safe haven for a couple of college students who really needed a good place to live. We didn't have the kind of money that it took to buy a house, but hoped that trusting God would take care of us all along the way. Everything went wonderfully and many people, including Cyndi and I, were blessed.

At the time to decide to buy the house, though, we were definitely "diving in." In the same way, we dove into mission work in Brazil and Panama — God has definitely blessed us again. What a ride!

Ryan Gibbons said...

it has been such an emotional roller coaster ride that I can sometimes feel overwhelmed...but then I think back to that story in Joshua 3, where God promised to stop the waters, but only once the priests who were carrying the ark had stepped in. But the Jordan River at flood stage cannot be stepped into easily, you have to jump in. It has felt like the Jordan at flood stage these past few months, and I have had to jump in.

Yet God is faithful, and I believe will continue to be, whether or not I understand where He is taking me or not. Thanks for joining me on the journey long ago, Greg, and several years ago, Jonesy, and for sticking together through thick and thin!