Saturday, August 8, 2009

Rough Waters Ahead


The section of Luke we are about to study (Chapters 6-8) is, in my opinion, particularly challenging.  It reminds me of these powerful words written by Elizabeth Gilbert in her book 'Eat.  Pray.  Love.'

"The devout of this world perform their rituals without guarantee that anything good will ever come of it.  Of course there are plenty of scriptures and plenty of priests who make plenty of promises as to what your good works will yield (or threats as to the punishments awaiting if you lapse), but to even believe all of this is an act of faith, because nobody amongst us is shown the endgame.  Devotion is diligence without assurance.  Faith is a way of saying, 'Yes, I pre-accept the terms of the universe and embrace in advance what I am presently incapable of understanding.'  There's a reason we refer to 'leaps of faith' - because the decision to consent to any notion of divinity is a mighty jump from the rational over to the unknowable, and I don't care how diligently scholars of every religion will try to sit you down with their stacks of books and prove to you through scripture that their faith is indeed rational; it isn't.  If faith were rational, it wouldn't be -- by definition -- faith.  Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch.  Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark.  If we truly knew all the answers in advance as to the meaning of life and the nature of God and the destiny of our souls, our belief would not be a leap of faith and it ould not be a courageous act of humanity, it would just be..a prudent insurance policy."

This is interesting, because I think all of us like to be in control.  My friend Greg Needels sent me a Facebook message about this just two days ago...here is a brief excerpt...Remaining open to God's plans has really taken away my feelings of control. And I like to FEEL like I have control, even if I don't have it at all. 

But we must remember that the Apostle Paul told us in I Corinthians 13..For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.

We don't yet fully know...so we live by...faith...and that is worth talking about!

2 comments:

Casey Megan said...

I find leaping blindly into faith absolutely frightening. I have such a pride issue and I worry constantly about EVERYTHING, which makes trusting in something you cant see almost impossible...but I do it. I've had people ask me how I could possibly believe in something that isn't real and I just laugh. I may not see God, but I feel Him and I see things that he does daily. Not being in control is very hard to do when you are wired the way I am, but God made me the way I am for a reason...not quite sure what that is yet, but im working on it.

A little off topic...but I'm in a weird mood today! See you Sunday!

Ryan Gibbons said...

I find leaping into anything a little frightening. Whenever there something new to be tried, I hang back and watch others first.

I think the most convicting evidence I can offer people in regard to the existence of God is the difference He has made in my life. If you knew me way back when and you know me now, whew...katie, bar the door!