Monday, July 5, 2010

Gratefulness

I love being together with the folks in my faith community. First of all because our relationships have been forged in the fires of real life, and I know that I can depend on you implicitly.

Second, because you are some of the most real people I know of. Yesterday at the end of house church, Nathan decided that he wanted to lead everyone in the pledge of allegiance because it was the 4th of July. He was not trying to make a political / theological statement about war or Christians attitude towards war, he simply wanted to honor his country. He didn't even realize their were two veterans sitting in the room with him, rather this was simply something he had learned and we should do. The most powerful part was that everyone dutifully rose as my eleven year old boy led us in the recitation of the pledge.

It is not only the indulgence of those in my faith community that I am thankful for, but the place my son has been granted within that community. He did not fear condemnation for speaking up and sharing his view. Also, he assumed that a rational suggestion would be followed by those who were older than he, even if the suggestion was made by an 11 year old. Finally, he felt perfectly safe and loved to make his request, and then take the lead.

On our recent trip to Colorado, he told his uncle Greg, "these AXIS folks are like my family." I love that. I am so thankful that he is loved for the quirky kid he is in spite of that quirkiness. He brought us all out on the porch Sunday night to set off those little 'poppers' which spray confetti everywhere. Nobody said boo too him. We just all went out on the porch and shared in what was an important moment for Nathan, regardless of whether or not anyone could care less about fireworks.

For the first time in my life, I feel as if I am restoring that first century Church from Acts chapter 2...42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. 43 And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles.44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45 And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. 46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

1 comment:

D2 said...

Gratefulness Indeed! I love family. Growing up, my cousins, aunts and uncles were together for every holiday and it was lovely chaos! We were jammed into my grandparents house or Mom's or Aunt Ann's and it was glorious. Nowadays, everyone has their own family and we don't gather as a clan more than 1 or 2 times a year. I miss it so much. That's why I love our church family so much. We're in everyone's business just like a real family and we love and pray for each other. We pack into Ryan and Amy's house and the chaos begins. We are a family and you will never know the depths of my love and appreciation for each and every one of you. Thank you all for being my friends and family! Thank you, Ryan and Amy, for welcoming us all into your home. Most of all, Thank you Jesus! Without Jesus.. most of us wouldn't even know each other. What a shame that would be.